Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Little Boxes

I have a short morning commute (for which I am grateful) and a short Spottify playlist to go with it: Pete Seeger's version of Little Boxes, RHCP's Snow [Hey Oh!], and U2's It's a Beautiful Day.  Not very creative, but we're not here to critique my DJing skills, we're here to talk about Little Boxes.

I initially chose it to comfort me in my chaotic life, because it makes "normal" sound so banal and unappealing. I may have a life of complexity, pain, love, and surprises; but it sure beats the ticky-tacky conveyor belt. On a strong day, I listen to Pete and embrace the weird and wonderful full catastrophe of my life.

At the moment, with my energy down and the catastrophe in full swing, the song struck a more wistful resonance. Wouldn't it be lovely to lie on a chaise longue waving languidly from the parade float of the 1950s American Dream? Sunny so-Cal and perfect pastel tract houses. Golf,  martinis, summer camp and university. No cancer, no side effects, no teenagers, no college applications! That's so bad?

A strong folk song that supports me either way.


2 comments:

  1. I have tried to bring my kids up to think that actually boring is ok. A day that is boring contains no drama or crisis and as we have way too many of those, boring is preferable. But perhaps not quite ticky-tacky.
    Weeds used the song as its ironic theme tune and it has never been quite the same since.
    I'm sorry catastrophe is full-on for you right now. I hope you find a way of recharging your energy supplies.
    Keep on truckin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we watched Weeds for a few seasons. But I guess I listened to the song enough as a kid that it still has other associations for me too.

    Things much better here. I think the prednasone was the culprit, and it is amazing how long the side effects can last. Something for us all to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete